Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Hosomura-san with Cat's Snacks - Not a Review Review

Let's rant about this beautiful series for a bit!

The only bad thing about this title is that it's not long enough. We want to see more of Snacks, more food and more Hosomura! 

This has been such a wholesome little story. Hosomura-san has been through so much; it's been heart-wrenching sometimes reading through it but at the end of every flashback we get to see her moving forward in the present despite everything. We also get to smile again at her interactions with Snacks and her cooking and be reminded that there will always be light at the end of the tunnel. even if one still carries so much weight, there will be connections - be it people or animals - who will help you get through it all. It is quite strange that I, being an introvert and a somewhat pessimistic person, was affected by that.

I used to give food to a stray cat in the neighborhood. I've done that for years whenever he shows up but I never let him in the house. Not long ago, he came back again and I finally let him in. Now, he's here with me every day. I wouldn't say Hosomura-san with Cat's Snacks has everything to do with that but I'd like to believe that a part of me was influenced by it to an extent. 

Personal wapping aside, the ending might feel too open or give the impression that the series was cancelled - and that might be really the case (idk) - but I prefer to believe that it's intentional. 

I think it's a fitting ending for such a true-to-life story. The true ending of this manga isn't on the last page of the last chapter. It wasn't an ending of actions or events but of Hosomura-san's emotional development. Through all of the intrusive recollections and with a cast of supportive company - of which Snacks is the main character, she ultimately came to face her own emotions and made a decision on how to deal with them moving forward. At this point, the following "events" don't matter much to me as a reader because I know this Hosomura will be able to deal with whatever comes her way. She's a stronger person now. 


That was a lot of psychological BS but let's face it, we all read the manga because of Snacks! and we want to see more of her! Also, why isn't this a JDrama already?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment