Monday, May 13, 2024

KIOKUYA - Not a Review Review

 I don’t have a lot of good things to say about “Kiokuya” but I have things to say!

First of all, it was too short and underdeveloped which is probably why I felt that the main plot wasn’t interesting and I preferred the side characters’ stories more. In fact, I continued translating it because of that and not the main plot. The side characters here are more interesting and amusing than the MC. Also, his childhood friend is annoying. 

The first chapter kicks it off in a very promising way. I had my expectations high, especially, about the issue of memories and what they represent to people. Maybe, that’s why I felt disappointed when that wasn’t philosophically developed enough but that’s on me. This isn’t that kind of series. 

I liked the side character stories. albeit short, they were great. I loved the dynamic of their relationships (lawyer and his handyman / Misao and Kaname). I sympathised more with those characters than with the main ones. Despite having short appearance time compared to the MC, they were more developed. So I have to hand it to the writer.


I want to talk about the ending. I have mixed feelings about it. on the one hand, I liked how it was emotionally charged and how Ryou and Maki put everything on the table. it was high time for them to have that conversation. However, I didn't like how Maki "ended" things. Everything that has happened turned to nothing with that ending! With that, she became one of my most hated female characters of all time!!!


Anyways, I hope you enjoyed it despite my horrible translation.


1 comment:

  1. Really agree with you on that ending I messed up my sleep schedule just for it to end like that. Thanks for the translation dude

    ReplyDelete